Transcript for July 2018

DISCLAIMER: This text is being provided in a rough draft format.It is not a verbatim transcript.Communication Access Real Time Translation (CART) is provided in order to facilitate communication credibility and may not be a totally verbatim record of the proceedings.

>>Sonia Peterson: Great, thank you, everybody for your patience.We're going to start the brown bag now.I guess we have all the -- we have all the technology figured out.How do I mute this?
So my name is Sonia Peterson.I am one of the instructors here at the master's program at San Diego State.So thank you for your patience while we get everything set up.
And we have -- how about if I just let people that are online know who's in the room?Yeah, do you want to say hi?

>> This is Karen Shine.

>> Sonia Peterson: So Karen Shine's here.and Marge Ulney's here.And Diba's [ASSUMED SPELLING] here and Tanya's here. And feel free, I'll be checking the computer if you have questions that you want to text in.But we'll go ahead and start.
So the topic today is all the changes that have been happening with the CACREP merger, requirements for the certified rehabilitation counselor credential, things that you need for the National Counselor Certification.And then we'll also talk about licensure in California and also about license portability. So my background for those of you that don't know me -- this is not working.It's not -- the clicker's not working.Oh, there it goes.So I got my master's from University of Iowa.And then I moved out here to California, did my internship here and started working for the State of California deny Department of rehab.I was there for about 16 years and really involved in the road to licensure in California pretty much from the time I moved out here.Because we still didn't have licensure in California.And kind of how I started learning about how it works politically is I had a leadership position in the union.And I was trying to get union support for licensure.

And I didn't realize that, you know, the license social workers, there were licensed psychologists that were also in asked me.And it's always a little bit of a struggle because, you know, they didn't want anybody stepping on their turf.So I got an understanding early on, the process it would take to get licensure and who would be supportive of that and who wouldn't be.And what settings you need a license and what settings you don't necessarily need a license.
But I got my CRC right out of master's program.I had an RSA grant and went to school at University of Iowa.So really, my plan was just well, I guess after work at a state vocational rehab agency.That was as long as I had planned ahead, get a job with State Department of California. And then it turned into this 16-year career.And then I went and got my PhD and graduated last December and have kind of gotten a little bit more involved in leadership.I took a board position with ARCA.And I recently got back from the American Counseling Association Leadership Conference in Washington.So I'll talk a little bit about a couple bills that are in the works right now that relate to counseling.

back to top

And I -- I'll go ahead and make sure everybody gets a copy of the PowerPoints.There's a lot of links in here.So you'll be able to click on links if you want more information.

So, again, like I said, we'll talk about CACREP/CORE merger, CRC, NCC and other information, portability.I'll leave a lot of time for questions and answers.
And so I guess -- I think everybody's somewhat familiar at this point with the CACREP/CORE merger and we're kind of in transition right now with the programs.Like, there's time allowed to kind of, like, make sure that all the classes that need to be included under CACREP, there's, like, a transition period.
So the programs remain accredited.And like technically, everything's accredited and within CACREP, but then the next time that the programs get reviewed, everybody's going to have be up to speed with the CACREP requirements.

So CACREP and CORE, they're just accreditation bodies.So they're the agencies that review programs.So the Rehabilitation Counseling Program was always reviewed by CORE but now CORE has gone away.Any counsel training program that's accredited has to follow CACREP standards.
So if you -- when I pass around the -- when I distribute the PowerPoint, you can click on the CACREP link and this one on this slide will take you to information about the update.And then you can navigate all over their website and find more information.
So this was all effective July 1st, 2017.And, again, we're in transition.I think the next reviews are coming up in -- it's going to be a while.Do you know?2022.So anybody have questions about that part of the whole licensure thing?Okay.

So as rehabilitation counselors, the CRC is the credential for rehabilitation counselors.So when you pass the CRC, it means that you -- rehab counseling is your specialty a you have a certain knowledge base.You don't need the CRC everywhere that rehabilitation counselors are employed, but a lot of times it's preferred for rehab counselor positions whether it be at community colleges or state agencies or nonprofits that work with the state agencies. Especially private -- like private companies or individual practitioners that do vocational analysis and do -- it's called forensics when people are doing, like, expert witness testimony or they're organizing information that may be a lawyer is going to use to help somebody that has, like, a personal injury case or something. Pretty much in those positions, you need a CRC.People are going to be looking for a CRC.Because it means that you have that knowledge.

back to top

And then also, CRC is endorsed by ARCA.We recently wrote up an endorsement of CRC.I forget, some other -- some other rehab agencies have also been writing up letters just in support of CRC.There's just been a lot happening with the merger.And as rehab counselors with that CORE and CACREP merger, there's as lot of concern that rehab counselors will lose their kind of specialty focus or that we'll kind of get lost in the shuffle. Personally, I don't see that happening because there is -- the rehab counseling is so specialized.And there is such a need for it with the whole state VR system and then also just all the private rehab vocational analysis and forensic services that are provided. I don't see our identity going away or the need for rehab counseling. And I do think that the CRC is important just because it does -- you don't know where you're career path will take you.If you're students right now, like, I really highly recommend that you get your CRC credential.
Once you have it, you just renew it every five years, you do your continuing ed.There's always lots of continuing ed opportunities.But once you have it, it might end up opening some career paths.I know it has for me.Like, 20 years ago, like I said I was like, "Well, I guess I'll go for work a state agency for three years."And I've had a lot of opportunities.And I've really enjoyed my career in rehab counseling and been able to do interesting stuff specifically because of the CRC.
And that's another reason why we are the most highly-paid counseling specialty I think because of all that forensics work that we can do and that people are out there doing.Those services are pretty lucrative.

Okay.So some of us might not be as familiar with the National certification, the NCC.So that's administered through the national board for certified counselors.And that board also administers the NCMHCE exam, that's the exam you have to take to get your counselor license in California. So and the reason why I want to talk about the national certification is because right now I've put up -- so one of the issues right now so license portability.And license portability means if you move to another state and you have your license, you've done all your work, you've gotten 3,000 hours of supervision in California, you've taken all the classes and you have your license from the Board of Behavioral Services, license portability means you can move to any other state in the country and you can your license.They'll just issue you another license through that state. Right now there is no license portability.And like, for example, I went over to Arizona to do my PhD, to do my coursework.And I didn't have license portability.So I couldn't take any jobs where I had to be licensed through Arizona.I would have had to go through their, you know, 3,000 hours of supervision and totally start from scratch. So that's a problem.And that's unique to counselors right now.Like, psychologists don't really go through that, doctors don't go through that.It's a simple process when you move to another state.The other state is like, "We recognize all the work you did to get your license.So you're licensed." So that is -- that's a big issue.So that's why I want to talk about this -- the NCC.Because what ACA -- American Counseling Association -- they support NCC as the standard for license portability. So I recommend if you're a student now, look at what's required for the NCC.And if you're going for licensure anyway, make sure and look at the requirements for the NCC.Because I think down the line if you would ever want to move to another state, you would have the license portability. Because basically, what's required is that you pass the NCMHCE or the other one.They issue two tests. I don't think I put it on the slide.

So there's two tests that the NBCC administers.Oh, I had it, it says NCMHCE and -- and I think I forgot to put in there.It's a shorter acronym, it's like the National Counselor's Exam or something.But those are the two tests. And all the states are licensed now and they all require that you pass one of those exams.So for the National Certification, you have to pass one of those exams.And then there's these core nine areas that you have to have completed in your master's program.
And that's the thing with this NCC is you have to have completed all those core -- it's eight core classes and then your internship.All those nine areas you have to have it on the one transcript.You can't, like, have your -- like, I can't actually get the NCC because I got licensed later.So I took human development later here at San Diego State.So it's not on my University of Iowa transcript.And they won't accept that for the national certification. Yeah, so make sure -- that's why I'm doing this talk because if you're a student now, make sure that all those courses are on your transcript.And then you can -- because you're going to take that test anyway to get your license in California.So that's all it is, is document you took all the coursework and then pass that test, and then you have your certification.

back to top


>> 3,000 hours and exam.Is it okay to [INAUDIBLE].I could be NCMHCE at the end of my master's program.They would accept that down the road, they would accept a passing score even though it's not necessarily [INAUDIBLE] that they put together as far as taking those exams [INAUDIBLE].

>> Sonia Peterson: Yeah, for the NCC I don't think it matters.Yeah, you're right.Like, I think you have to have the 3,000 hours of supervision.I think with the NCC -- I asked Ivan to print out -- Chuck sent out the attachment today. But you can click on [INAUDIBLE] and it will tell you.It will tell you what's required for the NCC.But yeah, Marge had asked can you do things out of order?My understanding is yes, like you just have to have everything that the NCC requires, you just have to have it done and then send in your application with a fee. And then, again, this is something that you take CEU's for and go ahead and keep renewing it.
So I think it's probably a good idea if you're going for your license anyway, get the National Certification in case you ever go anywhere else.
So we talked about license portability.So and then just some benefits of getting your license.Again, it just expands your job opportunities with your degree.You'll be able to work in any setting where they're requiring that you have a license.

So mostly that's managed care organizations, health -- private health, private medical companies.I'll talk a little bit about some bills that are in Congress right now because license counselors are not able to get reimbursement through Medicaid.So that's what organizations like medical counseling are working on now.So that's another good reason to talk about all this and talk about where is our profession going? And I think our opportunities are going to keep expanding.Because there's such a huge need for professional mental health workers.And they're saying that -- I have a slide, I think it's like 40% of mental health workers are licensed counselors and licensed marriage and family therapists. So to not have those workers to be able to reimbursed by Medicaid really limits services for people who are eligible for Medicare.That's the whole country.Mm-hmm. So, again, it just -- you're setting yourself up for more opportunities with the license. And, again, I kind of talked about this a little bit, but the counselor license options and the requirements vary from state to state.And you can click on these links once you get a copy of the PowerPoint.If you are -- if you kind of see yourself moving to another state, this is a good link.You can look up any state and it will take you to their licensing board and information about requirements in that state to be licensed as a counselor. And then in our state, it's the Board of Behavioral Sciences that licenses counselors.And all that information about what you need to do to get your license in California is on their website.And it's a lot more than the nine core areas.There's some extra classes that you can take.But they're just, like, hour-long classes.And you can just take them online. In some of you are doing that, let me know.Because there is a good website that it's super affordable.You pay, like, a little over is hundred dollars and it's all the CEU's that you want to take.Do you know that one?

>> Yeah, well, [INAUDIBLE].

>> Sonia Peterson: Yeah, it starts with an A.If I think of it, I'll say something.

>> Those are CEU's you have to take in addition to the [INAUDIBLE] course in the areas of, like, child abuse, [INAUDIBLE].I'm trying to think -- substance abuse, long-term [INAUDIBLE] is one of them.And there's, like, 67 areas.

>> Sonia Peterson: Yeah.And I know at one point I had to, like, an HIV/AIDS -- yeah, it's basically they're following the CACREP/CORE, I probably shouldn't say CO RE but the CACREP standards.These little hour-long classes you can take online to get those CEU's.And then the 3,000 hours of supervision.So yeah, it is a lot of work.

>> We need CEU's right from the start?I think we needed to renew our licensing?You're thinking about the [INAUDIBLE].We get the license and certain CEU's


>> Sonia Peterson: Do you think if I click -- like, can we?So let's see what it says. Okay.So I'm connecting with the -- oh, I don't know if it's going to work.You cannot minimize Zoom.Okay, sorry.Is it going to come back on? So this is the BBS website.So it will -- so these are all the requirements.Yeah, pass the background check.There's a California law and ethics exam.The supervision.I think all that stuff is under education. Okay.Applicants who began graduate study before August 1st, 2012 and completed -- I think it's all under here.Yeah, so this lists all the -- basically when I've looked at it it's all the standard CACREP you have the three-unit graduate-level coursework.Career development, group counseling, assessment, multicultural counseling.Those are all, like, graduate-level classes.
Ethics, psychopharmacology class.

back to top

>> One of the things that [INAUDIBLE] so you've already had all these requirements, you won't come up at the end [INAUDIBLE].They're all there.

>> Sonia Peterson: So Marge is just sharing the program here at San Diego State is approved by the BBS and -- so once you graduate from your program here, you'll have all the classes that you'll need. And then I'm just looking for -- yeah, somewhere in here is those little -- oh my God.


>> Sonia Peterson: Yeah, I thought they were in --


>> Sonia Peterson: Yeah.It would be nice instead of just putting the link for what it says in the law, they would kind of break it down a little.Anyway, but this is, I guess this is -- also see state certification degree form.

>> [INAUDIBLE] They tell the section [INAUDIBLE].

>> Sonia Peterson: Yeah.

>> Is it possible to call the BBS and get a human being to answer questions?

>> Sonia Peterson: So the question is, is it possible to call BBS and talk to a person and get some guidance?My experience it's always kind of hit or miss.So if somebody's not helpful, like, try again.


>> Sonia Peterson: Yeah.There's a lot of us that have gone through the process.So we all help each other out.And the listserv is good for that.Or just call us.You can always, you know, I know Marge is available, I'm available.So yeah, we help each other out.Because it is -- I remember when we all had the opportunity to get grandfathered in and we were all just emailing and calling each other all the time to figure out, you know, who we could get to sign off on our supervision hours and, you know, good resources for -- to get the coursework done and the other little CEU units.So that's kind of how it works.
And I mean, there's been some big changes ever since I got licensed.I think I got licensed in, like, 2012 or something?And there's been changes since then.So let me see if I can figure out how to go back to the PowerPoint.Oh, there it is.

>> [INAUDIBLE] But we don't have to worry about it until the end of the year.

>> Sonia Peterson: Okay.So now let's talk a little bit about the basic coursework that is -- that all these different, you know, roads to certification and licensure and CACREP.So this is all the basic coursework that all those things have in common. So it's not as overwhelming as it seems like it is to get your CRC and your license in California, and graduate from your program.Like, there's all the coursework pretty much will help you get all those things. So these are -- when I kind of compared all the what's required for the CRC and licensure and the NCC, these are all the basic courses that are in common for all those things.The human development course, the basic theories course -- I'm trying to see, like has there always been a multicultural class that's separate?Okay.So that's good.But I don't think the human development one has always been --

back to top


>> Sonia Peterson: Yeah, so that's a CACREP standard class.

>> [INAUDIBLE] Things like your practicum.You're able to -- when, like, when I [INAUDIBLE] you get the program approved, I sometimes find a [INAUDIBLE].

>> Sonia Peterson: And yeah, that's when it can get a little complicated.Because the different entities have sometimes will have different titles for the classes.But then you can see when they list, like, the objectives of the class, then you can compare it with the syllabus and say, "Oh, yeah, my foundations class, that's what equates to probably to helping relationships and counseling."

>> You don't have to worry about that [INAUDIBLE].

>> Sonia Peterson: Yes, the program at San Diego State is -- it's all set up so that everything's covered for CACREP.And like I said, the NCC, the CRC, they keep track of what's required for CACREP because they know the master's programs are CACREP-accredited.So then they line up their standards and requirements with CACREP. And the licensure, too.Like, everything -- they all look to CACREP for the standards.But then yeah, for whatever reason, they just sometimes -- they'll have a little bit different title for the course. Yeah, and then they all require the practicum and the internship. So on this slide I have links so that you can go in and look exactly how CACREP describes it, how CRC describes it, and how NCC describes what's required. And then CRC just sent out a memo about a month or so ago just to let everybody know that the eligibility criteria are shifting a little bit.I mean, basically they're just saying that they're in line with CACREP what they're requiring. So yeah, so it's a little bit different.Yeah, it's in line with CACREP if you're going to be taking the CRC starting March of 2020.
And then I talked about this earlier, with NCC you want to make sure that all the standard coursework is on your master's degree transcript from the same institution.Which is not a problem here -- everything's set up for that.If you're on the licensure track. So and everybody got a copy of that table.So there's lots of links on that table.Chuck had sent it out in the reminder for today.So if you want an electronic copy, it is -- you can access it on Chuck's email and then you can just click on the links. And this copy has extra information about licensure in California.I also have an electronic copy on the ARCA website under the policy information.But that's -- that doesn't have the California information.And then also I just wrote a newsletter for the ARCA, the summer newsletter and I talk about all this in the newsletter. There's also a lot of information about, like, benefits for, you know, joining ARCA and joining American Counseling Association. So these are the bills that I was talking about.American Counseling Association is a really good resource for what's happening legislatively, both at the national level and state level.But these are two big bills that could really have an impact on the work that licensed counselors are able to do. Because if these would pass, then we'd be able to bill under Medicare. So if you're interested in stuff like that, I mean, all you need to do is contact your representative.And there's some easy ways to send letters.Because there's so much going on.Like, I don't think -- it really does work to send them a letter and bring it to their attention.
And with everything's that's going on, it's kind of nice because it's -- you know, everybody needs mental health services.You know, Democrats and Republicans.So it's nice to have an issue that's bipartisan, you know? Yeah. So I've included some links for resources to, like, find out current legislation, Voter Voice I just learned about at that conference I went to.So that will -- you can look up, like, areas that are of interest to you and it will let you know what bills are being brought up in Congress.And I can't remember how it works, but, like, I'm in there because I'm involved with American Counseling Association.So then they tell you like, these are all the bills, these are bills in your state.

Like, currently in California there's a bill to ban conversion therapy.So then I wrote -- I wrote state legislature about that. And then it will help you like the Resist to 50409, you can do that by text.All those make it so easy, you just give them your information and they'll say, "These are your senators, this is your representative.Do you want us to send a letter to all three?What do you want us to say?"And you can do it on your smartphone and that Resist will send it.Also with Voter Voice it gives you sample letters. The American Counseling Association is a really good resource and they have a whole page for government affairs.So if you want to see -- if you want to get more information about bills that are up, then that's a really good online resource. And then NBCC that does the licensing exam and does the NCC certification, they have a government affairs -- I think it's a listserv.And then at ARCA, I try to update the public policy and legislation page on a regular basis.So that has information that's specific to rehab counseling. And then there's another link here so that you can contact your representatives.
So does anybody have any questions about, like, anything that's on that table or anything else?I haven't gotten -- I hope my -- the chat is working because I haven't seen -- oh, somebody said I lost the PowerPoint after you tried to connect. Oh, no.I think I might have messed up.I'm sorry if you're out there and you're not in person.I just got a message that I messed up the PowerPoint. I mean, we're on the last slide and we're just talking about questions now.So I will send out the PowerPoint so that everybody has a copy.And right now, if you want to text any questions, we can talk now about the information.So I'm not seeing any other -- I'll keep looking for the chat messages to come in.But how about in the room?Does anybody have any questions?

back to top

>> [INAUDIBLE] In the program [INAUDIBLE] I'm guessing the NCC can really take any kind [INAUDIBLE] decide when they want to study for it and get it done.I'm guessing from what you said that [INAUDIBLE] is portability from state to state.

>> Sonia Peterson: Right.

>> And would you say otherwise people may or may not need it?

>> Sonia Peterson: So Marge is asking about -- she's talking about how here at the program at San Diego State the CRC is basically your final exam.So then you take that at the end.And just to comment about that, I think don't they compare you with other students?So it is better if you are a student to take that CRC right at the end of your program.Because you're only being compared to other students.
>> Right, they have to [INAUDIBLE].But I'm interested in the NCC.
>> Sonia Peterson: So the NCC, Marge was asking, is there more flexibility about putting in all your -- the required things that you need to do to get the NCC, and is it flexible, and what are the benefits of getting the NCC?
I think the main benefit is the license portability.Because I do think sooner rather than later they -- they will just accepting, if you have your NCC that you can just transfer your license when you move to another state.


>> Sonia Peterson: I mean, I guess all you're doing is just paying the fee.So it's not like you're having to sit for another exam.If you are getting licensed.
So I would recommend the NCC only if you're getting the license and only if you passed that National Exam.Because I mean, that's the same requirements for the NCC.
I just -- yeah, I just say as long as you're getting your license in California, just pay that other extra fee.Because once they approve you, these certifications and license, as long as you're keeping up your CEU's and you renew every year -- and with CRC it's only every five years.And some of these, I just renewed my license in California, it's only every two years in California.But once you get these licenses and certifications, they don't go away.Like, you just renew them.
So like I said, things are always shifting.So if you qualify for something, I'd say take advantage because you never know when you might need it.

>> I wondered if people remembered [INAUDIBLE] kind of kept track of these exams and what exams go with what that six-letter exam [INAUDIBLE].

>> Yeah, NCMHCE.

>> Is the same one you need for licensure and it's the same one you need for NCC.So it's not an extra [INAUDIBLE].

>> Sonia Peterson: So Marge said the NCMHCE exam, you take that for the California license anyway and that's the one that's required.And we have a question from people online.It says I graduated from the program in 1993 and stepped out of the paid workforce to raise my twins.I'm trying to get back in the workforce but I wasn't getting the alumni info until five years ago.I missed the grandfathered period completely.I don't want to get a whole new degree, but it seems as though I'm out of luck since I have called the Board of Behavioral Science and it seems there was no recourse for me.Any suggestions?

back to top

>> For the program before August 2012, the rules are different.

>> Sonia Peterson: I'm going to come over to you with the microphone.

>> It's Marge.I was just saying that for anyone who started their program after August 1st, 2012, the rules are different for you.So when you take a look at the website, the rules are less stringent in terms of the courses you have to have completed within your program.
So before giving up, I would take a look at the BBS website and look specifically at the rules that apply to you and your degree.

>> Sonia Peterson: Hi, and this is Sonia.I thought that you could just take the extra classes and then -- the problem is that you have to have the 3,000 hours of supervision. And that was the benefit of being grandfathered in was you didn't have to do the supervision.You had somebody sign off saying that you had done -- most of us that got the license had, like, a lot of hours that we'd worked.So we just had to find somebody to sign off. So I mean, you're welcome to email me after the presentation today and maybe, you know, maybe I can find somebody that -- or, you know?There's the LPCC group, there's a website.>> It's cal [INAUDIBLE].org.

>> Sonia Peterson: Okay.Yeah, if you want to email me, I can give you that link to the website. Okay.As a wheelchair user, I'm having difficulty finding a mental health placement that's accessible.Any ideas for supervision? I'm kind of surprised that more places aren't accessible.

>> It seems to me that they would have [INAUDIBLE].

>> Sonia Peterson: Yeah, places should be accessible.You know what?For sure I'm going to send out a link.When I send out the PowerPoint, I'll add that LPCC.Because that's a good resource because it's all people that are -- that are, you know, wanting to stay organized and help other people to get the license.
So the people that are involved that have their licenses already and are involved with that group, they probably have some ideas.
So I think we're almost coming up on time.Oh, I guess we have, like, 20 minutes?Uh-huh.Here, let me come over with the mic.

>> So I tried the Resist text and I need a little bit more information.I put in the SR1879 and pressed done.And it says need a little bit more an effective letter.So can you just tell us, you know, what we're actually supposed -- are we trying to pass that?

>> Sonia Peterson: Yeah, you might want to try some of the websites to get a sample letter.Like, try the ACA website.Because they'll have samples of the letters and what to say. The Resist is good if you already know what you want to tell your representative.Like, you know, keep an eye out for this bill.Please support this bill because there's a lot of licensed counselors that would help seniors -- I don't know how else --

>> To get these bills supported?

>> Sonia Peterson: Yeah.

>> Okay.And then we're asking the House?Because it asks you do you ask the House, Senate, or Governor?

>> Sonia Peterson: Well, the 1879S is for Senate.So S1879, that one you're going to contact your senators.

>> Okay.

>> Sonia Peterson: So in California that's Diane Feinstein and Kamala Harris.And that HR3022, that is a bill that's in the House of Representatives.So that one goes to Susan Davis.

>> Thank you.

>> Sonia Peterson: You're welcome.Let me see if there's any -- Okay.And then somebody's saying for the supervision, they're saying the crisis houses aren't usually accessible.

back to top

>> Oh.That could be.It's -- I think accessibility has been an issue in some of those crisis houses.And they're also an issue for individuals with disabilities who need those services.So, you know, I have seen what you're talking about.And I think that's correct.And I'm not sure what the recourse is.
Maybe checking into different sites.But yeah, I've seen crisis houses in this community that are not accessible.Second-story, no elevator.

>> Sonia Peterson: Right.So -- and somebody's agreeing very true.And then somebody else said, "So if you haven't done the supervision hours and graduated before 12/31/18, then you will need to complete the additional courses."

>> December 31, 2012.August 1st 2012 your program has to have started or -- yes before then.

>> Sonia Peterson: For the license?

>> Yes.

>> Sonia Peterson: Okay.

>> And that -- you know, if you've graduated -- if your program started before August 1st, 2012, like I said, there's a different set of rules for you.And I can find that on the BBS website.It's not as stringent.So you may still have an opportunity.

>> Sonia Peterson: Yeah.I mean, that's the best resource is all the information on the BBS website. Okay.So right, I started in 2011, but have no supervision.Well, then you'd have to get your supervision hours.

>> You get those -- you would get your supervision hours after you become an associate, which means that you've submitted all your coursework and your transcripts and whatnot to the BBS.So you haven't even gotten to the point where you need those hours yet.

>> Sonia Peterson: Right.Yeah, it is a long process to get the license. So does anybody else have any questions?Should I go ahead and wrap up a little early?

>> This has been really informative.

>> Sonia Peterson: Good, I'm glad.I hope people aren't more confused than when we started.It is a lot of information.

>> No, you cleared up some things.I think overwhelmed -- I don't feel confused, but I do feel overwhelmed by all the bits and pieces and moving parts.And yeah.

>> Sonia Peterson: Yeah, I mean, that's what the bummer is.Like, we're in a transition.Medical doctors have been around a long time, social workers have been licensed a long time; and now counselors, we're starting to organize and make sure that there's a license in every state.And in the meantime, it's like getting everybody on the same page.Because there's so many specialty areas under counseling.Like, there's so many divisions under American Counseling Association.But that's what is nice about becoming a member, at least their main office is right near Washington, D.C. So they are a good resource to get really clear information on, you know, what's happening with licensure everywhere.
So does anybody have questions about that?Like, membership with ACA?

>> Do they have student -- do they have representatives who can answer these kinds of questions for students?

>> Sonia Peterson: Yeah.I mean, there's -- probably ARCA is your best resource right now.And that's kind of why I come out and do talks like this.Because I am getting a lot of information by taking that position as the policy chair, that's what I do is research and put this stuff on the website.

>> Right.And something people may not realize is that ACA is, like, the parent organization over ARCA.ARCA is part of ACA.

>> Sonia Peterson: Right, ARCA is a division.And then we have the whole western region.So at this leadership conference, like I met people that, like, the president of the Western Region.So there's the divisions, like the, you know, there's a division for counselors that are interested in multicultural issues, LGBT issues, school counselors, like all the specialty areas, those are the divisions and then the country's divided into regions.So there's a whole other western region is -- they have meetings and distributed information. And we're trying to get more organized.

>> I know there's student memberships.Of ACA?

>> Sonia Peterson: Right.And the good thing about the student membership is you get liability insurance for your internship as a student.

>> Just for joining?

back to top

>> Sonia Peterson: Yeah, just for joining American Counseling Association, you get liability insurance.And then I think it's, like, $15 or $20 to join ARCA.And you can look on the website and see there's all sorts of other divisions.And then you'll get their journals.Like, it's really a good deal as a student.And I think as a professional, too, because you get access to there's always free continuing education every month.There's all sorts of information on the website and listservs.You get -- as a student, you get the liability insurance.Every month you get a copy of Counseling Today that I really like.Like, it took me a while to actually start reading it.But it's easy to read and it's really practical information that you can put in to practice right away.Working with your clients. And then if you join ARCA or you join any of the other divisions, they pretty much all have a journal.So then you get that -- I forget what it is for ARCA, the Rehab Counseling Bulletin.

>> Our premiere journal.

>> Sonia Peterson: So you get a copy of that which has all the really good research that's being done in our field every month. So I think it's a good deal.I recommend.And then also the National big American Counseling Association conference, this next spring is in New Orleans, Louisiana.But in 2020 it's here in San Diego.And it's -- those are really good conference.Like, lots of great workshops.And if you're a student, you can get a discounted registration if you volunteer.Which I think is a great way to do your first conference.Because you -- they'll have you volunteering all over the conference.So you'll meet people and you can go to workshops.You can -- we always have a student meeting and a general membership meeting at ARCA and a reception.And there's all sorts of receptions. So yeah, put that on your calendars for 2020.And yeah, ACA has a website with all sorts of information.

>> And I was just going to add that ACA has never been as important as it is now that we're CACREP-accredited.Because ACA is a big CACREP organization.And I would guess that all the counseling professions that are accredited under CACREP are ACA as well.But it became really important a year ago when we became a CACREP-accredited program.

>> Sonia Peterson: Right.So okay, I'm not getting anymore questions on the chat.So and we're about at time.So we'll go ahead and wrap it up.Thanks for coming today.


>> This was a lot [INAUDIBLE].

>> But you guys, [INAUDIBLE] an approved program.[INAUDIBLE]

>> It's good to know what's going on behind the scenes [INAUDIBLE].I'm sure it was difficult.

back to top